6.1 Lakes and Fresh Air

This photograph was taken by Karam Al-Ghossein on September 16, 2018.
KA. (2018, September 16). CC-Nature: Creative Commons Nature Pics. KA.’s Photostream. Retrieved from https://www.flickr.com/photos/listento/49864276941/

I chose this picture because I love taking hikes or trips to see bodies of water, especially waterfalls (even though they are not in this picture). It reminds me of the adventures that I would like to start going on again. I am very excited about Flickr from looking around on the website. I think there are many possibilities as long as you keep the license of each picture in mind. This would require you to teach the meaning of each license to the students so that they understand what they can do with a particular image. In addition, you would have to teach the students how to search for images that are able to be shared or edited so that they do not become attached to a picture that they cannot use. I think Flickr would be great for finding images that spark imagination for a project in the art classroom. Students could find an image they want to work from, as long as the licensing allows, or use it as general inspiration research. I could also see images being able to be used for blog posts in the art classroom in regard to photography topics. Students could do a critique on the composition of the photographs from picture to picture or from artist to artist since each artist has their own account and albums. In addition, Flickr could be used to find images can be used to base a short story or poem off of for Language Arts. I could also see it be used to find images that might fit a scene or story students have been working on in order to create a blog or discussion post. For digital citizenship or technology lessons, Flickr could be used to research how the licensing affects the ways that images can and cannot be used.

3 thoughts on “6.1 Lakes and Fresh Air

1. You have listed several examples of engaging lessons using Flickr. This would also open the door to discuss copyrights. Many children (and adults) don’t realize that they can just copy and use anything posted on the Internet.

2. You have so many great ideas for Flickr. I really like your images for poem inspiration ideas and may have to use something like that! I also think that this site would work really well in the art classroom; the possibilities really are endless. Additionally, as a side note, I also LOVE waterfalls; so serene!

3. I really like the short story or poem idea! A picture is worth a thousand words and those words may be different for each student. This gives them a chance to put those words down and share with others. I think it would be really neat to have students find their own picture and before they write their story, show the pictures to others and then see the different stories that each person comes up with. That would be neat to see how one picture could mean so many different things to different people.